Accumulation of Points and Saving Your License
Accumulation of Points
Pursuant to R.C. 4510.036 there are no points assigned for out-of-state traffic violations. A word of warning to anyone facing a case arising out of an incident at Wright-Patterson Air Force Baseyou’re your case is heard in the United States District Court, points may be assigned pursuant to R.C. 4510.
What About the Remedial Driving Class?
When you are approaching 12 accumulated points, you can enroll in a 2-point adult reduction remedial driving class authorized under R.C. 4510.037(C)(1). Points reduction course only allowed once every 3 years, and only 5 times during person’s lifetime. R.C. 4510.037(C)(2)
How Do You Calculate Points in Multiple Cases?
“If a person is convicted of * * * two or more offenses arising out of the same facts and points are chargeable for each of the offenses, points shall be charged for only the conviction or bond forfeiture for which the greater number of points is chargeable, and, if the number of points chargeable for each offense is equal, only one offense shall be recorded, and points shall be charged only for that offense.” R.C. 4510.036(E)
Accumulation of Points From Criminal/Traffic Offenses
R.C. 4510.036(C) discusses the accumulation of points. “A court shall assess the following points for an offense based on the following formula:”
- 6 Points for all types of vehicular manslaughters, homicides & assaults involving the operation of vehicles on streets & highways;
- 6 Points for Failure to Comply With Order of Cop / Fleeing & Eluding (§2921.331) or any ordinance prohibiting willfully fleeing & eluding;
- 6 Points for Hit-Skip under state law (§4549.02 & 021) or under municipal ordinance;
- 6 Points for Drag Racing under state law (§4511.251) or municipal ordinance;
- 6 Points for 12-point DUS under state law (§4510.037) or municipal ordinance;
- 6 Points for DUS while license suspended under a DUI, ALS or Public Safety Suspension (§4510.14) or a municipal ordinance, or for soliciting a prostitute while in a car (§2907.24);
- 6 Points for adult DUI under state law [§4511.19(A) – impaired or per se] or municipal ordinance;
- 6 Points for Unauthorized Use of a M/V under state law (§2913.03) or municipal ordinance (not involving aircraft or motorboats);
- 6 Points for any offense under the motor vehicle laws of this state that is a felony, or any other felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle was used;
- 4 Points for underage DUI (OMVUAC) under either state law [§4511.19(B)] or under municipal ordinance;
- 4 Points for Operation in Willful & Wanton Disregard under state law (§4511.20) or under municipal ordinance;
- Speeding Violations 4 Points – driving 30 mph or more over posted speed limit; 2 Points – driving more than 10 mph (11+ mph) over posted speed limit where the posted speed is 55 mph or more (basically, on highways); 2 Points – driving more than 5 mph (6+ mph) over posted speed limit where the posted speed limit is 55 mph or less (basically, on city streets & rural roads); 0 Points – if your convicted of a speed 10 mph or less on the highways; 5 mph or less on city streets & rural roads).
- 2 Points for operating a MV in violation of BMV-imposed restrictions (eyeglasses, time of day);
- 2 Points for all other DUS offenses (§4510.11, §4510.111, §4510.16 & §4510.21) or similar municipal ordinances
- 0 Points “No Operator’s License” (§4510.12); 2 Points for all other moving violations